Earlier today, my sister and I indulged in the obligatory Sunday brunch at a cozy homestyle cafe. But instead of the infamous grease-fried bacon, buttermilk pancakes bigger than your head, and other coronary bypasses served at a typical breakfast joint, this restaurant offered a tantalizing (and cheap!) array of healthy menu options…all of which were calling my name. Finally, I settled on a protein wrap and proceeded to lick my plate clean. In fact, I enjoyed it so immensely that I’ve decided to replicate the recipe.
This is one breakfast you’ll definitely consider a morning staple.
- 1 10″ whole wheat tortilla
- 1/4 cup egg whites (beaten)
- 1/4 cup spinach leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 1/4 cup tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 avocado (mashed)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. low-fat shredded cheddar*
*if your dietary needs exclude dairy, then substitute vegan “cheese”
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a small skillet, then add the beaten egg whites.
- Turn the stove-top burner up to medium and scramble the egg whites until the consistency is fluffy.
- Heat the remaining tbsp. of olive oil in another skillet, then add the garlic and veggies.
- Turn the stove-top burner down to low and simmer the veggies, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop the scrambled egg whites into the center of the open-faced tortilla, then spread to the outer edges.
- Spread the veggie mixture over the eggs and top with the mashed avocado.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar (or vegan substitute) over the avocado.
- Fold in the edges of the tortilla and roll it tightly (like a burrito), then cut in half before serving.
Garnish this breakfast wrap with a dollop of Publix Greenwise organic salsa and a few avocado slices fanned out on the plate.
Here’s what the final product should look like. Tempting, huh?!