It’s FOOD for your FACE.
1. For a soft and even-toned complexion, snack on a handful of walnuts 3 times per week. The essential minerals (e.g. potassium, magnesium, calcium), Vitamin B, and omega-3 fatty acids found in these crunchy munchies soothe inflamed facial tissue and fight stress break-outs. A daily topical regiment of warm walnut oil (1 tbsp.) is also ideal for moisturizing dry, flaky (AND sensitive) skin.
(image courtesy of hudabeauty.com)
2. For a wrinkle-free and glowing complexion, try plain Greek yogurt (mix with fruit and stevia to sweeten) for breakfast. The lactic acid, probiotics, calcium, and Vitamin D found in this protein-powerhouse reduce aging and discoloration, while exfoliating beneath the surface. A weekly topical regimen of Greek yogurt (2-3 tbsp.) and olive oil (1 tbsp.) is also ideal for a deep cleansing facial mask.
(image courtesy of fitsugar.com)
3. For a clear and hydrated complexion, indulge in 2 squares of dark chocolate (78% cacao) 2 times per week. The antioxidants, vitamins (e.g. A, B, C, D, E), essential minerals (e.g. calcium, iron), and flavanols found in this guilty pleasure improve collagen circulation, repair dryness, and prevent UV-damage. A weekly topical regimen of powdered dark cocoa (1.5 tbsp), olive oil (1 tbsp), and brown sugar (1 tbsp.) is also ideal for a facial scrub that strips away dead skin cells.
(image courtesy of skinsense101.com)
4. For a fresh and revitalized complexion, toss generous amounts of kale into a lunch or dinner salad. The copper, iron, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C in this leafy green super-food boost the production of melanin, fight acne-causing free radicals, and calm redness or irritation. A daily drinkable regimen of kale (1 c. chopped), beets and/or carrots (1 c. chopped – these veggies are loaded with a natural skin-care army, as well), and iced green tea (1 c. – among one of the healthiest beverages on earth, green tea basically wrote the book on antioxidants) blended into a smoothie is also ideal if you’re looking to detoxify.
(image courtesy of beyondbeautifulskin.com)
5. For a long term blemish-free complexion, incorporate various types of berries (e.g. strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.) into at least 1 meal per day. I’m talking breakfast with almond milk poured on top, lunch in a grilled chicken and arugula salad, or dinner served with your favorite whole grain. The ellagic acid, anthocyanin, and Vitamin C found in these juicy little gems increase skin elasticity and even have the foresight to prevent future break-outs that you never saw coming. A weekly topical regimen of mashed-up berries (1/4 c.) and organic honey (1 tbsp.) is also ideal for an anti-aging mask.
(image courtesy of embracinghealthblog.com)