Sure, it’s a matter of convenience. One quick stroll down the personal care aisle, and you’ve got the entire makings of a beautified face. Maybelline, Cover Girl, and Loreal are definitely dialed into your “make me pretty” needs. Why would you even consider looking elsewhere when it’s time to pile on the glitz?!
Well, for starters…how about because those products aren’t exactly face-friendly?
Yep, gasp-worthy but true.
To prove this point, I looked up the ingredients list for standard Maybelline eyeshadow, and the search results read like a who’s-who-of-toxic-chemicals: Talc, Triisostearin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Stearate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Nylon-12, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Alumina, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Synthetic Wax, Methylparaben, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Silica, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Tin Oxide, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben.
That’s a whole mishmash of words I can’t even pronounce, but it doesn’t sound like a holistic spa retreat, that’s for damn sure! Basically, here’s what you can take away from this little lesson in chemistry: NO BUENO.
So…umm…what’s a girl to do?!
Make your own make-up, of course! This all-natural alternative to those synthetic science experiments cluttering the cosmetic counter is surprisingly simple and completely skin-safe. Before you dismiss this as some tree-hugging-earth-woman mumbojumbo, just consider these perks of taking the organic beauty approach:
- You’ll save money since most of the ingredients needed to whip up a batch of foundation can be found right in your kitchen.
- You’ll also save time since you won’t have to hit up CVS every few weeks upon running out of that precious Cover Girl bottle.
- You’ll be in total control over which substances your face is exposed to (that means no harsh irritants, preservatives, or anything developed in a laboratory – for that matter!).
Now, time to make it!
This 5-ingredient powder foundation will undoubtedly become a staple for your morning routine…
- Arrowroot Powder (get it here!)
- Cocoa Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Pour the arrowroot powder into a shallow mixing bowl (use 1 tbsp. for light skin and 1 tsp. for dark skin).
- Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the arrowroot and combine thoroughly (eyeball the amount of these ingredients you use until the desired skin tone is reached).
- Drizzle approximately 5 drops of olive oil into this mixture and stir until the texture is slightly more compact.
- Apply the foundation with a large make-up brush.
(recipe courtesy of: Thank Your Body)
Sidenote: I substituted 1 tbsp. Cornstarch since I didn’t have any Arrowroot Powder on-hand, and it still worked just fine.