Yeppers, kale and quinoa come together for the win in my latest kitchen creation, packed with essentials like protein, whole grains, calcium and Vitamins A & C.
Tons of nutrients, exotic Mediterranean flavors, and a simple cooking process make this recipe an instant hit. So, you know, go ahead and sneak it into your “Speedy Weeknight Dinner” rotation (shhhh…the kids won’t even know they’re eating kale!). You’re welcome.
Quick note for any vegans or vegetarians: this recipe includes scallops, which you’ll obviously need to omit when recreating in your own kitchen.
Kale & Quinoa Superfood Salad — yields 4 servings
3 cups Kale (chopped)
1 cup Scallops
1 cup Quinoa
1/4 cup Feta (crumbled)*
1/4 cup Dates (chopped)
1 clove Garlic (diced)
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp. Coriander (ground)
Sea Salt (to taste)
1. Fill a large pot with Quinoa and 2 cups Water, then pre-heat on a high stovetop setting and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to low, then cover the pot and let simmer for approx. 15 minutes or until the moisture has mostly been absorbed.
3. While the Quinoa is cooking, prep the Kale, Dates, Garlic and Feta (or dairy-free substitute), then set aside temporarily.
4. Coat a small saucepan with Cooking Spray and pre-heat on a medium stovetop setting, then add the Scallops.
5. Saute the Scallops for approx. 2-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they have cooked thoroughly.
6. Remove the Quinoa from heat and stir in the Coriander, Garlic and Olive Oil, then combine this Quinoa mixture with the Scallops.
7. Arrange the Kale on a serving plate, then spoon the Quinoa and Scallops mixture over the Kale.
8. Sprinkle the Dates and Feta (or dairy-free substitute) on top, then add the desired amount of Sea Salt.