For the past couple months, I’ve been switching over to a dairy-free lifestyle. Which actually hasn’t been that hard of a transition. Well…except for one detail.
Guys, I love cheese.
And it’s not until I stopped eating cheese that I began realizing just how many recipes include the stuff. Craving some comfort food? Good luck sans the cheddar. In a Mexican mood? Not without that pepper jack. How about a Greek salad? Umm…don’t forget the feta.
Sure. I could simply omit cheese from these dishes, but where’s the pleasure in that? There’s gotta be another solution. At which point you’re probably thinking: Yeah, genius. It’s called vegan cheese. Touché. But I’m new at this dairy-free business!
Besides, I’m not about scouring Whole Foods for nutritional yeast. Or soaking cashews in water for three hours. Or you know…whatever.
The point is I’m lazy and need that cheese fix like yesterday.
Which is the inspiration behind my own formula: Minimum Patience + Maximum Desire = Liquid Gold Sauce in Under 5 Minutes.
In keeping with a minimalist theme, I opted for the pre-sliced variety. So, after comparing ingredients in multiple brands, Chao made the final cut. It’s tofu and coconut-based without any preservatives or GMOs. To sum up, I’m fangirling.
Yep. Over tofu and coconuts. I mean…we’ve all been there.
Something else I’m fangirling over: mac & cheese. And quinoa. Because I’m a wellness blogger. And. We. Eat. Quinoa. So, that combination is how Cheese-less Broccoli Quinoa Mac & Cheese became a thing.
And my taste buds lived happily ever after!
1/2 Broccoli Head (chopped into florets)
1 cup Dairy-Free Milk (Unsweetened)
2 Vegan Cheese Slices (of Preference)
1/2 cup Quinoa (Organic)
1 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp. Spelt Flour*
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
*spelt contains gluten, so if you need a GF alternative, check out these options.
- Cook the quinoa on your stovetop, following the package instructions.
- Pre-heat a saucepan on another stovetop burner, bring to medium, then add the milk, flour, olive oil, garlic and sea salt.
- Stir until the consistency thickens, then add your preferred vegan cheese and stir again until melted.
- Pre-heat a smaller saucepan on yet another stovetop burner, pour in about 1 inch of water, bring to boil, then add the broccoli.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then cover your saucepan and steam the broccoli for 5 minutes.
- Combine the broccoli and quinoa, then pour the vegan cheese sauce on top, and stir to distribute the flavors evenly.
Yeaaaaah. I know what you’re making for dinner tonight. Don’t even pretend otherwise. But like…it’s healthy mac & cheese. Why wouldn’t you make it for dinner tonight?
Exactly. *drops wooden spoon*