Today’s kitchen creation is being served with a confession on the side.
I’m not a bread person.
Did you even know that’s a thing? To not like bread? My secret shame. Nope, can’t even order avocado toast for Sunday Brunch despite my all-consuming avoddiction (P.S. that word DOES exist. Look it up).
But *insert sigh of relief* order is now restored to the galaxy because I’ve discovered a breadless alternative—sweet potato toast. A.K.A. the latest foodie trend currently taking over my life. Forreal.
And if plant-based + gluten-free + downright delectable sounds like the ultimate jam, then prepare for a takeover on your life too.
I rest my case. Times three, in fact. Because you’re about to experience…
Just grab a sweet potato, then go culinary crazy with all the fixings. And here’s some inspo to get those creative juices (not to mention, appetite!) flowing.
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small can Chickpeas
1/2 tsp. Ground Paprika
1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 Juiced Lemon
2 tbsp. Chopped Raw Almonds
1 tbsp. Organic Almond Butter
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Sliced Apple
1/2 tsp. Sriracha Sauce
4-5 Spinach Leaves
1/2 Hass Avocado
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- Cut the Potato into 3 slices about, 1/4-inch thick, leaving the skin on.
- Put each slice in a toaster and cook for 5 minutes, or until the texture becomes pliable but still firm.
- Drain and rinse the Chickpeas, then transfer 1/2 into a food processor.
- Add the Lemon and 1 tbsp. Olive Oil, then puree this mixture until a hummus consistency forms.
- Place the remaining Chickpeas on a foil-lined baking sheet and pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle them with 1 tbsp. Olive Oil, Cumin and Paprika, then cook in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the Chickpeas become crispy.
- Spread the hummus over the first Potato slice and top with the roasted Chickpeas to make savory toast.
- Chop the Almonds coarsely and slice the Apple, then spread Almond Butter over the second Potato slice.
- Top with the Apples, Almonds and Cinnamon to make sweet toast.
- Mash the Avocado until a guacamole consistency forms and spread over the third Potato slice.
- Top with the Spinach and Sea Salt, then drizzle on Sriracha to make spicy toast.
Seriously…moment of silent introspection for these wondrous little tubers.
Alright, moment over. Girl’s gotta eat!